OBSL - Olney Bethesda Soccer League
|A Developmental and Transitional League for U8 through U10 Players|
Give Your Kids A Head Start
Many players and teams find the progression from recreational programs to NCSL and WAGS a significant challenge. The Olney/Bethesda Soccer League offers players and teams the opportunity to play at a competitive level prior to joining these leagues. OBSL serves as a developmental league for U8 through U10 players. Teams are expected to stress player skill development.
The league is jointly operated by Olney Soccer and Bethesda Soccer Club. It was organized in May 1997 as the successor league to the Olney U9 League which operated for Boys U9 teams for two seasons. The league provides boys teams two years of competitive play at the U8 and U9 age groups prior to teams entering NCSL as U10's and girls teams the same at the U9 and U10 level prior to entering WAGS as U11's.
Features of the league:
- The league is sanctioned by the Maryland State Youth Soccer Association (MSYSA).
- U9 and U10 teams are carded as travel players.
- U9 and U10 teams play 7v7; keeper and 6 field players under MSYSA U10 rules.
- Boys U8 teams play two concurrent 4v4 games on small grids.
- U9 Boys teams and Girls teams play Saturday and Sunday games with home games in the Olney and Aspen Hill area and away games in Howard, Prince Georges, Baltimore, Frederick and Anne Arundel counties and in southern Maryland in a combined schedule with Central Maryland Short-Sided League (CMSSL).
- U9 and U10 games are 60 minutes with FIFA laws modified for U10's.
- Field size is 50x80 and goals are 6x18.
- League schedules are similar to NCSL and WAGS with no games played Memorial Day or Columbus Day weekends.
- The league uses certified USSF referees - primarily high school-age travel players.
- All players receive participation trophies.
In addition to Olney and Bethesda, the following MSYSA member clubs have participated in the league as well as independent teams: Burtonsville United Soccer Club, Calverton Soccer Club, Damascus Soccer Club, Freestate Soccer Alliance, Laurel Boys and Girls Club, Montgomery Soccer Club, Potomac Soccer Association, Soccer Association of Columbia, Seneca Soccer Association and Takoma Park Soccer Club.
Minimum Roster size is ten and maximum roster is fourteen. The majority of the players must be on age. For Boys U8's, only two players may be under age. Girls may play on boys teams.
League fees, which include MSYSA registration fees for the fall season and all costs except uniforms, are set annually by the OBSL Board. Application deadlines are approximately March 1st and August st for the spring and fall seasons.
The league is highly competitive. OBSL offers young players the opportunity to develop their skills at the most competitive level available prior to joining NCSL or WAGS.
For further information on the league contact Tony Falcone, league administrator via email at email@example.com.
Additional information is available at https://www.teamsportsinfo.com/cmssl/cmssl-f07/default.aspx.